Monday, January 5, 2009

So what's this all about, anyway?

I've been a web developer from almost 10 years now, evolving from the same ugly, hacked-together pages that most of us did ten years ago to using an object-oriented approach with an MVC framework and an ORM to make dealing with the database less arduous.

Almost every step of the way, I've used Allaire/Macromedia/Adobe's ColdFusion, and for the same reasons now as I did then. it lets me do what I want, the way I want to. Back then, I was happy just to see how easily I could pull data from an Access database and display it on a web browser. Now, when I'm looking for all the latest buzzwords- OO, MVC, ORM, Dependency Injection- CF *still* lets me do what I want, the way I want to.

Which isn't to say that I want to stop with CF. Like any decent programmer, I'm always on the lookout for something new. Let's face it- creating web applications pays the bills, and I enjoy doing it, but learning new stuff is *cool*. (Yes- I got beat up a lot in high school.)

Which brings me to why I'm blogging. on a whim, I picked up a Ruby on Rails book the other day, and started reading through it. Just the first two chapters started me thinking- enough that I started making mental notes about things I wanted to think about more. Since I spend most of my day staring at a browser, one thing led to another, led to BlogSpot.

What I am doing here:
I think better when I talk things out, and even better when I take the time to write them out. So a lot of the point here is to just help me process what I'm reading. If someone reads this and wants to chime in, so much the better.

I'm also putting down some of my impressions. There have been a few things that I've read that I really liked, and some that I'm not so sure of yet. However, as I go further into this, I'll have a way of looking back at my earlier impressions and seeing how they held up over time.

With any luck, this blog will help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment